Hello World in Eclipse
- http://eclipse.org/download - you need the JEE version for your operating system
- Choose the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers
Unzip and make a shortcut
- There is no install - simply unzip it to a convenient locations (for example c:\)
- You can start by double clicking eclipse.exe
- You can make a shortcut on your desktop
- Accept the default workspace and move on
- The welcome screen can be closed - you will not need it again
- You want to start with a Java Project
- A project can include many classes and other things
- File / New / Project...
- You want to start a Java Project
New Project Wizard
- Set the Project Name to FirstProject (Use a capital for the first letter)
- Pick Java Project to start with
- Call your project FirstProject and check that you have at least 1.5 as the Execution Environment.
- Note that 1.5 is often referred to as 5; similarly 1.7 is version 7.
- The big changes happened at 1.5
- You can just accept the defaults regarding file locations and perspectives.
- You are now looking at the Java perspective – this is the arrangement of panes.
- You are going to see this window a lot.
- Your project files are listed in the Package Explorer on the left hand side
- Call your class Hello use a capital H.
- Tick public static void main…
- You don’t want the other options