SET08112 ArrayList Interface Tutorial
In this tutorial you will use the ArrayList and the HashMap or TreeMap to solve some common problems. You will use methods such as:
Problem 1 - Sort a List
The file from http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~cs66/SET08112/tut2/students.txt contains a list of students:
ADAMS, ROBERT HASTIE, MARTIN OTHIENO, JUDITH ANDERSON, ROSS ...
Create a programme SortStudents.java that reads in this file and outputs the students in Alphabetical order.
- You can use an ArrayList to hold the students.
- ArrayList<String> names = new ArrayList<String>();
- You can use java.util.Collections.sort to sort the ArrayList
Problem 2 - List Routes
The file year1.txt contains a list of all students in year one. Each line contains the name of the student and the name of the route (programme) they follow separated by a tab.
AITKEN, HANNAH BENG (HONS) COMPUTING F/T COCHRANE, LEE BENG (HONS) COMPUTING F/T CURSTON, REBECCA BSC (HONS) DIGITAL MEDIA F/T ...
Write a program to read in this file and output a list of routes with no duplicates. You can use a program very similar to the one above – but this time:
- Use line.split("\t") to get the route
- Use contains to only add the route if it is not already in the ArrayList
- You do not need to sort before output